Friday, January 18, 2008

Benjamin Resort = Bad Ju-Ju Part II and the Recovery Effort

After two nights at the "Benjamin Resort" (read: falling apart old hotel building with no pool) and waking up this morning to a neck ache, back ache, a little and restless night of sleep due to light and noise from the ajoining lobby accommpanied by a cockroach the size of my two thumbs together christening my morning pee, I walked out of our room at 7:45 this morning and asked for a new room (I would have to wait until 10 am to find out).

With Julia now up, we decided instead to go looking for new accommodation. We inquired at a few places (ranging from 1,000-5,500 Bhat) and Julia was smart enough to inquire at Ice Bungalows for a room. What we found was a pretty, clean room with a nicely stoned tiled bathroom, good bed and appliances and a view of the mountains from our front steps.

Making sure we got our breakfast afforded us at Benjamin, Julia (good cop) and I (bad cop) then proceeded to ask for a refund on our cockroach-mosquito infested, bad ju-ju, view-of-the-front-lobby-only room--we had originally paid for 4 nights, but two was all we were gonna take. Trying to channel both my aunt Rhonda Ono and my dad (both of whom I felt would have most certainly demanded their money back), we got the lady to agree to give us a refund if she could get someone else to take the room for the following two nights.

She did. We got our money and left.

And, as we put our stuff down and unpacked a little in our new room at Ice Bungalows, my heart glowed a little...

The rest of the afternoon looked much like the last two: us on the beach with our beach chairs, water and pineapple--julia reading The Red Tent, lying in the sun and napping; me trying to get a tan, reading Behind the Scenes at the Museum, and composing emails to Alex in my head. (Julia's right, the world is so much more beautiful when you're in love.)

Together we spend our time trying to figure out the best way to stay afloat in the Indian Ocean with as little effort as possible (haven't found the right combo yet and still keep our heads above water), breaking only to eat, go for a walk, warm up and comment on the many, many German tourists with us on the beach--many of whom we feel should learn the appropriate time to put their shirts back on...as well as enjoying the sudden thunderstorms that happen in the afternoon.

Occassionally, I have to remind myself to look up and remember just where it is I am exactly...and when I do, it's breathtaking.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in awe, simple awe of you ladies! Good on you for getting the hell out of that shady sounding hotel and moving onto to the sun, sea and sand. It sounds like total paradise (except for the German tourists,ugghh).
Keep looking up and remembering where you are, breathlessness is nice once in a while . . .

ps. <3 you miss E!

Judy Belle said...

Let's hear it for self-advocacy! Good for you ladies for demanding money back for a crappy-sappy-dirty-icky room. The visual of the cockroach was too much for me!

Enjoy that beach music!

Love,love Judy

Chris G. said...

We are enjoying your postings. Happy to hear you found better accommodations. Rhonda would probably suggest checking out the rooms before committing, which she has so kindly done for us. What just one cockroach, I thought they and lizards where pets in those island settings. Also happy to hear you are relaxing, we are so envious in our high of 31 today. Note from dad, he checks for new postings at least six times a day. Splash in the lovely warm water for me. Kisses and hugs, emom